NFB NATIONAL RESOURCES:
COVID-19 Resources: The National Federation of the Blind is compiling resources that may be particularly useful to blind people facing challenges during the COVID-19 emergency. This includes Federation resources such as NFB-NEWSLINE® and distance-education initiatives as well as other resources as they are made available. This information can be found at http://www.nfb.org/covid19.
NFB OF GEORGIA RESOURCES:
CDC Website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
* GREATER UNITED WAY of Greater Atlanta – Due to extremely heavy call volumes at this time, we recommend you access 2-1-1 online or by downloading the 2-1-1 mobile app. You can also text GACOVID19 to 898-211 to receive a list of full available resources related to the impact of the novel coronavirus or text 211od to 898-211 to find resources available to
- College Students in Need of Aira- As universities and colleges are shifting to distance learning, some materials and software are inaccessible. Aira is offering free service to college students for the remainder of the spring semester. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the program.
- Freedom Scientific-https://portal.freedomscientific.com/SponsoredSoftware
Free short-term licenses for JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion.
Educational institutions in the United States with up-to-date multi-user licenses of JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion, are qualified, All students, faculty, and staff with an active email address are entitled to receive free home annual licenses for their personally owned equipment.
In addition, special licenses have been created to assist students and workers who must remain home during the COVID-19 crisis. A free short-term Home Annual license of JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion (expires June 30, 2020) is available to anyone with a personal email address in the United States and Canada.
These products require either a Microsoft Windows 10 or 7 operating system. Remote desktop and Citrix support are not provided. Contact Freedom Scientific Customer Service at 727-803-8000 with any questions.
- NFB Newsline Access–The National Federation of the Blind is making the “Breaking News’ section of the NFB-NEWSLINE service available through the United States, including Puerto Rico, for sixty days beginning March 16. This includes states that do not have a sponsor for the NFB-NEWSLINE service and are therefore usually only able to receive limited content. This includes thirty-four outlets with frequently updated content. For More Info. call 404-371-1000 , press 2.
- National Braille Press-Free downloads of three NBP titles
To help with some of the practical challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic, we’re offering free digital downloads of three relevant books, between now and April 30th:
by Kim Loftis and Chris Grabowski
by Judith Dixon
by Deborah Kendrick
Downloadable formats include DAISY, BRF, and Microsoft Word.
- Hadley Discussions-Hadley creates personalized learning opportunities that employ adults with vision loss or blindness to thrive- at home, at work, and in their communities. Social distancing has become the norm these days. And while that can be isolating, there are some ways to stay connected with people. Hadley is still offering our discussion groups every week. In these phone-in sessions, our learning experts share tips and insights on a topic. Then, we open the phone lines for questions. The link about entitled Hadley discussions will take you to a calendar and then click the sign up button.